ginormous performance issue

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jul 17 22:10:04 CEST 2009

On Friday 17 July 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> and still, in the case of an applet with many subwidgets, independent
> timers can do really a big signal storm, so i still kinda like more the
> pointer approach :p

yes, having a single timer for this is a nice win .... the pointer thing is as
bit of a hack (and yes, a pointer is always an int, so that's fine in that
previous patch). the pointer bit would need to be stripped before actually
putting it into the cache; i wonder if having a set "syntax" for it would make
more sense, e.g. <id>:path_details_separated_by_underscores allowing the id to
be stripped off.

then the "don't cache this yet" collection could be a map of ids to entries.

really, this is just a way around adding API. i wonder if it wouldn't make
more sense to just add a new addToCache method in Theme that takes an
additional "id" argument for this purpose. avoids all the string parsing and
reliance on "well formed" entries and makes it clear what's going on
internally.

i'll think more on this over the weekend (back to work on monday for me! wee!
:)) but the more i look at the various patches the more i think that a new
method is the cleanest approach. thoughts?

humru othro a kohnu se