window management ideas

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Sat Jul 11 16:02:13 CEST 2009

a) do you seriously suggest to add a permanent widget on your desktop that can
configure the desktop grid?? (i.e. how regularly do you do that?)

b) while using the grid, the desktops are scaled down... (e.g. try this with 9
desktops...)

c) i was talking talking about painting an ICON (maby 3 times to make a
stack..) - not a "set of widgets..." (not to speak of svg, script support,

d) what if someone uses plasma + compiz and start's to wonder why this doesn't
work...

e) no one yet agreed to do it this way at all ;-P

ok - /just/ read your forgotten crosspost ;-P

when we want to push VDs to a rather win grouping metaphor (...of course we
all silently know that this is because the plasma team has so far failed to
support multiple wallpapers per VD... yes: we know!... =P ) one should drop
this approach entirely (as there would not be "real" desktops - you know: with
individual wallpapers etc...) and rather allow dragging windows around and
create new desktop groups by dragging windows to an area that exceeds any
other groups margin. (that's far more intuitive then pressing some widget -
while a) still holds - to create a new (empty...) group

stupid question/note regarding this:
we need to drop the (prominent, could keep it for inter-user session changes)
cube etc. then, right?
(the only working transition we afaics have so far for switching former VDs
and then WGs would be crossfading)

Thomas

ps:
"columns"?
i'd rather suggest heaps, make sure all wins are scaled to similar dimensions
and (partially) visible when entering the view and bring the hovered ones to
front...
"columns"... pfff ;-P