window management ideas

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sat Jul 11 02:34:11 CEST 2009

On Friday 10 July 2009 22:57:40 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Am Freitag 10 Juli 2009 22:28:10 schrieb Chani:
> > -maybe a way to add/remove them from the desktop grid effect? (yes, I'm
> > thinking about gnome here)
>
> have the work is already done. I've already started to work on it some time
> ago and have a well defined area on the screen which adds a desktop when I
> click it. But it needs some more polishing as it realy shows that desktop
> grid wasn't thought as a way to add/remove desktops. And I have to think of
> a way how to make the plus widget feal like a real widget. I don't want to
> just paint an icon like in gnome shell.

Maybe using Plasma widgets that can receive input and that send D-Bus calls,
and kwin reacting to it with animations accordingly?

The Plasma widgetry would be "behind" or around the animation in Kwin, so you
basically add controls "around" kwin animated window arrangements.

We certainly don't want another set of widgets in KWin, even if it's just
simple ones. Plasma has all we need already, and it should integrate nicely
this way as well.
--
sebas