window management ideas

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 10 22:48:27 CEST 2009

Chani wrote:
> so I had a crazy idea, and discussed it with lubos and notmart, and completely
> forgot to mention it at the bof. I brought it up again today and we ended up
> with some other ideas too.
>
> what I wanted is window tagging. instead of virtual desktops and tabs (tabs
> seems to be a workaround for window management not being good enough
> anyways) I could just have tags on windows, and have a taskbar that groups by
> tag, or have one virtual desktop per tag. perhaps some smart omission of
> superfluous tags.

Okay... time to point people at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/NWI again...

Not exactly the same thing, but... What I'd like to know is if/how tags
would fit into NWI; I can see that they might make the panel really
confusing if you have nested containers /and/ tags.

(And no, I don't think tagging can replace tabs. It's not unusual for me
to have dozens or more tabs open (not necessarily in one window, or even
one application). I do not under *any* circumstances want that many
top-level windows. I've been there, and it sucks ;-).)

> we also daydreamed about how nice it would be if you could save and load
> partial-sessions consisting of a group of windows and an activity.

Yes, that would be nice. Session Management is still somewhat in the
stone ages. (Kate and Firefox have the best session management; the
desktop as a whole isn't even close to that level.)

(Please note that SM != NWI.)

--
Matthew
  ,= ,-_-. =.    Freedom to Use