zui ideas

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 19:17:57 CEST 2009

On Sunday 12 July 2009, Jamboarder wrote:
> It's been a while (since the 4.2 cycle) since I've contributed to plasma;
> things got really busy this last six months. If it's worth anything, I
> thought I'd provide a little feedback on this zui topic.

i kinda agree, but a problem i see is that zoom in and out are quite easy
concepts to grasp and their icons are quite obvious, i'm not sure if it can
exist an icon for the "show activities" concept as clear as a magnifying glass
for zoom out, it could be also kept the magnifying glass but hmm, not sure...

> Selecting an activity could use the same Qt/KDE selection model similar to
> what's used throughout the desktop (essentially a single selection view).
> Keyboard navigation could be the same as elsewhere on the desktop: arrows
> keys highlight, enter activates (zooms in).  Mouse navigation would be the
> same: mouse over highlights, click/double-click activates.

yeah, i think too that the active one should be somewhat highlighted

> To keep the move-applets-between-containments-using-the-mouse
functionality
> probably requires the activate target outside the containment like the
> "Zoom In" on the handle is now (but perhaps bigger and labeled "Select" or
> "Select this activity" "Use" or something...).
>
> If all the activites don't fit on the screen, perhaps the same mechanic
> that's used througout the desktop when display items don't fit on the
> display area could be used here: a horizontal scrollbar.   I have to keep
> reminding myself that I can drag-to-scroll when I've zoomed out to see the
> available activities.

i really hope an horizontal one wouldn't be needed anymore and the zoom will
always be just the right level (but zoom levels are currently an enum, gah!),
a vertical one could be needed, yes

> To push a little the further;  what about a zoom slider in the tool box
> once the user is in the "Show Activities"/(zoom > 0) mode.  The slider
> could use detents for each zoom level.  The user is arguably already
> familiar with the zoom slider from many apps (dolphin, gwenview).

hmm, i think a thing like that is useful just if there a re -many- zoom levels
and don't think we want more than 2

> The visual presentation and interation would be mostly similar to a dolphin
> icon view in preview mode, only with live, more interactive "previews"
> (containments). One remaining question would be: are there any functions
> envisioned in the zoomed out modes that go beyond selecting, creating and
> removing activies that would not work with this suggested mechanic?

load and save containments