zui ideas

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 17:55:31 CEST 2009

> The terms "Zoom Out" and "Zoom In" are presented to the user.  I wonder if
> this perhaps exposes the mechanism rather than the action(s) the user would
> like to perform.  What distinct functionality does each of the zoom level
> provide?  Or another way to put it might be, what activity would the user
> like to perform that would prompt the user to change zoom levels?
>
> At the "zoom 0 (fully zoomed in)" level, the only thing I can think that
> "Zoom Out" provides is to show the available activities. Once "zoomed out
> (1/2, 1, 2)" the user can currently select an activity, create new
> activities, or remove existing activities.  If that is what it does (or is
> envisioned to do), would it make sense to label "Zoom Out" in the
> fully-zoomed-in/normal-desktop-view mode something like "Show Activities".

+1

the point of zooming out once is to switch activities or move stuff between
them. I'd like the second zoom out to be for management of activities.

> Selecting an activity could use the same Qt/KDE selection model similar to
> what's used throughout the desktop (essentially a single selection view).
> Keyboard navigation could be the same as elsewhere on the desktop: arrows
> keys highlight, enter activates (zooms in).  Mouse navigation would be the
> same: mouse over highlights, click/double-click activates.
>
> To keep the move-applets-between-containments-using-the-mouse functionality
> probably requires the activate target outside the containment like the
> "Zoom In" on the handle is now (but perhaps bigger and labeled "Select" or
> "Select this activity" "Use" or something...).

I don't think this part really fits with plasma. when we zoom out we are quite
literally zooming out - it's just a transform on the canvas. pretty much one
line of code.
it'd be kinda nice to have a way to select an activity and see which one is
selected, though.

> If all the activites don't fit on the screen, perhaps the same mechanic
> that's used througout the desktop when display items don't fit on the
> display area could be used here: a horizontal scrollbar.   I have to keep
> reminding myself that I can drag-to-scroll when I've zoomed out to see the
> available activities.

first thought: eeeew, ugly scrollbars!
second thought: er, you have a point, some indication that scrolling's
possible would be good. although we do turn the mouse into a grabby hand.

> To push a little the further;  what about a zoom slider in the tool box
> once the user is in the "Show Activities"/(zoom > 0) mode.  The slider
> could use detents for each zoom level.  The user is arguably already
> familiar with the zoom slider from many apps (dolphin, gwenview).

interesting...

> The visual presentation and interation would be mostly similar to a dolphin
> icon view in preview mode, only with live, more interactive "previews"
> (containments). One remaining question would be: are there any functions
> envisioned in the zoomed out modes that go beyond selecting, creating and
> removing activies that would not work with this suggested mechanic?

hrm. um. I can't think of any, actually.

> Just a few thoughts I hope are helpful, and I'm happy to pitch in some
> coding time to help whoever wants to work on this, Andrew Lake

coding time would be awesome. :) we have plenty of other things that could use
coding time too (er, who's watching over the bug monster while aaron's away?)

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com