Problems with units of measurement

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Mon Jul 13 14:18:54 CEST 2009

Le lundi juillet 13 2009 1:09:10 PM, Eirik U. Birkeland a écrit :
> Hi.
> Recently many strings containing units of measurements have shown up
> in the KDE translation files.
>
> The first problem with them is that the same strings (and there are
> quite a few of them) shows up in several files, eg. libconversion in
> kdeplasma-addons and kalzium in kdeedu. Wouldn’t it be better to
> include the strings in kdelibs, so that all the files in need of the
> strings could fetch them from there? That would save the translators
> much work.
This is in trunk, isn't it? trunk is just on the start of its release stage so
it's likely a unit lib will be shared later so the work is not duplicated.

For translators I would not recommand putting too much work in trunk right now
but concentrate on KDE 4.3 which is the hot stuff about to be released.
> The second problem with the strings is that many of them contains
> different kinds of abbreviations for the units of measurement. And
> many languages, like Norwegian, which I translate to, doesn’t have
> that many unit abbreviations, and thus it is difficult to give the
> strings an adequate translation. I would therefore suggest that only
> one string is used for each unit, since the number of abbreviations
> can differ between the languages. By the way, I saw some strings like
> this: “square centimeter;square centimeters;cm²;cm/-2;cm^2;cm2” Does
> this mean that we do not have to include all these variants in the
> translation? If so, you have almost already implemented what I am
> asking for, but it should be done for all the unit strings.
Some more info will be added in the context string.
> Finally, I wonder if anyone can give me a little information about
> what these context strings mean: “unit description in lists” and
> “amount in units (real)”. Both of them are found in
> kdeplasma-addons/libconversion.po.

Again you must separate trunk from kde4.3 branch when stating translation
problems.

KDE 3 branch problems must be fixed right now but trunk is where development
happens and especially with GSoC student work being merged in, there will be
some improvements in the next months.

There were several translation bugs discovered lately, I suggest all
translators check really thoroughtly that everything is translated and works
nicely (layout problems) in 4.3 branch before switching to trunk.

Best regards,

Anne-Marie

CCing all this to plasma-devel mailing list. It's a good practice to CC all
plasma related translation problem to the plasma mailing list.