Version Number from .desktop

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sat Jan 31 21:37:31 CET 2009

On Friday 30 January 2009 15:01:40 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2009, David Baron wrote:
> > For the same reason I might want to display the name(), i.e. in an about
> > box or other UI feature that would carry such information.
>
> this should not be done per applet, otherwise we get a bunch of different
> "about box" implementations and people will end up writing the same code
> over and over.
>
> that is why there is an about box in the add widgets dialog. it includes
> the version number of the widget.

OK, there is a whole pane in the config dialog just for a keyboard shortcut
that few, as of yet, even use. An about box could take another pane or share
this one :-)

There is nothing wrong with having the version available any more than having
the name and appletName available. They can go in an about box, the title bar
of a dialog box, etc. And if differing about box versions materialize, well,
there are different config dialogs around also. Some addPage, some simply use
a QTabWidget, etc.

Even in windows, there is no absolute conformity. There are UI standards,
published and unpublished that make most apps consistent so easier to learn,
but not identical. Plasma is and is becoming a tremendously rich platform, the
potential of which has scarcely begun to be filled.