Another 4.2 applet inovation

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 00:49:22 CET 2009

On January 29, 2009 14:17:11 David Baron wrote:
> On Thursday 29 January 2009 23:46:02 Chani wrote:
> > On January 29, 2009 06:43:28 David Baron wrote:
> > > So I used my own dialog in showConfigurationInterface and it worked
> > > fine.
> > >
> > > I also put the KKeySequenceWidget in this dialog and can successfully
> > > set the globalShortcut using the funtions in the Applet class.
> > >
> > > One problem: The dialog will flash and die the first time, work nicely
> > > the second time, flash and die the third time and so forth yielding a
> > > slew of drawing object error messages. No matter if I call it from
> > > another dialog or from the context menu. Every other time.
> >
> > why don't you just use createConfigurationInterface?
>
> I could and then call the showConfig.... when I want to run the menu from
> the UI.

"call the showConfig"?? :/
you don't call it yourself, you let *plasma* handle the configuration. although
if you have a redundant config button in your applet it wouldn't hurt, I
suppose.
wait... what "menu"? aren't we talking about a config *dialog*?

> I sort of do not like that huge, seperate area for just the key shortcut
> (which I am now using but most applets do not and are simply stuck with
> it). Right now I have one panel but will tab that into two, possibly a
> third for future functions but not yet. I want the shortcut on the 1st pane
> with a few other options. I use formlayouts. I also have my own save,
> reset, cancel buttons with icons and seem to have no options or control
> over what is given in the KConfigDialog. Also, my dialog is modeless (there
> is no necessary config upon which to wait).

if you want the config dialog to be better, why not submit improvements to
libplasma instead of making your applet different? the aim is to have a
consistent experience for users, here. :)

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com