Plasma .operations file to JOLIE interface converter and plasma::(dataengine/service) return value typing

Fabrizio Montesi famontesi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 19:30:23 CET 2009

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 19:13:51 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 January 2009, Fabrizio Montesi wrote:
> > today I was chatting with asraniel on #plasma about making an automatic
> > generator of JOLIE interfaces from Plasma::Service .operations XML files
> > and he decided to go ahead and start the project.
>
> brilliant.
>
> > Current objective is to make a command line tool working like:
> > plasmaoperations2jolieinterface source.operations dest.iol
> >
> > Suggestions for a name for this tool or other aspects in general?
>
> a validator feature might be nice eventually; as for name .. hm..
> plasma2jolie? =)
And jolie2plasma for the tool that does the opposite of course! :-]

> > Moreover, though operation call parameters are typed in .operations
> > files, it seems there is no mechanism for typing a DataEngine or Service
> > return value. This is supported by JOLIE (as one can leave the return
> > value of an operation call untyped), but I was wondering: is there any
> > future plan regarding this?
>
> well, QVariant really provides this metadata upon return ..
> there is no
> declaration capabilities at this point though that is something that would
> be useful to add imho.
Yeah I think too that message type checking would be a nice feature in general
when using the Plasma::Service API; well, we can use JOLIE types "manually" to
gain it when using JOLIE adapters, but that's clearly not an optimal solution.
Anyway, we can always put it in the future without compromising anything. =)