Plasma .operations file to JOLIE interface converter and plasma::(dataengine/service) return value typing

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 20 19:13:51 CET 2009

On Tuesday 20 January 2009, Fabrizio Montesi wrote:
> today I was chatting with asraniel on #plasma about making an automatic
> generator of JOLIE interfaces from Plasma::Service .operations XML files
> and he decided to go ahead and start the project.

brilliant.

> Current objective is to make a command line tool working like:
> plasmaoperations2jolieinterface source.operations dest.iol
>
> Suggestions for a name for this tool or other aspects in general?

a validator feature might be nice eventually; as for name .. hm..
plasma2jolie? =)

> You can find an example of a correct conversion in attachment, to make it
> clear what we want to achieve.

very cool.

> Moreover, though operation call parameters are typed in .operations files,
> it seems there is no mechanism for typing a DataEngine or Service return
> value. This is supported by JOLIE (as one can leave the return value of an
> operation call untyped), but I was wondering: is there any future plan
> regarding this?

well, QVariant really provides this metadata upon return ... there is no
declaration capabilities at this point though that is something that would be
useful to add imho.

> PS: another thing for the future will be to make the opposite tool (JOLIE
> interface to Plasma .operations file, so to import automagically already
> defined JOLIE service interfaces), but that's another story. =)

=)

humru othro a kohnu se