Icons only mode for tasks plasmoid

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 20:20:56 CET 2009

> From: Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
>
> "Do we really want a task bar that behaves exactly like the current task bar,
> except that it has no text?"

I remember starting to hack on this a few months ago and one thing that came up for me:
- If the user selects Icon Only then there would perhaps need to be an UI interlock for tooltips (i.e. select Icon Only -> Tooltips always visible).  That would provide the user access to the text they would otherwise get, though it requires additional mouse hover action.  There's at least precedent for extra hover action in other task UI's.  I won't argue though, whether those are good or bad precedents. :-)

> - or -
>
> "Do we want a task bar that actually has the semantics of a dock?"
>
> if the latter, we ought to create a sperate widget.

For full dock semantics, yeah it would make better sense to create a seperate widget.  Dock semantics, at least for OS X and Windows 7, include conflation of launcher and running applications in addition to icon-only task recognition (among other things I'm sure).  Perhaps there are portions of Dock semantics that are valuable on their own or as part of the existing tasks widget. In this case perhaps icon-only task recognition, properly implemented, could be useful as well.

Hope this helps,
Andrew (Jamboarder) Lake