Icons only mode for tasks plasmoid

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Fri Jan 16 19:36:31 CET 2009

On Friday 16 January 2009 19:15:55 you wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Please have a look at the attached patch and give comments on it ;-)
>
> before this goes in (and the patch looks ok at first read) i think we may
> want to step back and ask ourselves:
>
> "Do we really want a task bar that behaves exactly like the current task
> bar, except that it has no text?"
>
> - or -
>
> "Do we want a task bar that actually has the semantics of a dock?"
>
> if the latter, we ought to create a sperate widget. this new widget and the
> tasks widget can certainly share a lot of code and classes, but i don't
> think that shoving more and more options in and complicating the code more
> and more makes the most sense if what we really want is a dock when it's
> all said and done.
Personally I would like to have a dock and of course I thought of a dock when
starting to work on this part ;-) But first of all for me only icons would be
enough for saving space ;-) I don't know how much work it would be to get a
dock starting from the tasks widget. Most of the functionality of the tasks
widget will be needed in a dock, too. Of course the quicklaunch functionality
has to be added and saving the positions, etc.

> btw, in the code, instead of doing the checkedState comparison, you can
> just do isChecked(). so much shorter =) checkedState only really matters
> for tristate controls.
I just wanted to keep the code consistent to the existing checks ;-)