kde community plasma integration

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Tue Jan 13 23:07:37 CET 2009

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 19:28:08 Fabrizio Montesi wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 January 2009 16:17:03 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> > [lots of cool things...]

Yes, definitely. I'm lacking the time to write a detailed response to it right
now, but I'm really looking forward to get community web services integrated
with the desktop.

> iirc Cornelius raised the interesting problem of respecting KDE's
> preferences for connections... we should spend a minute about how much of
> that we want in Plasma<->JOLIE integration and how to do it: a dbus service
> by KDE's side that JOLIE would access? JOLIE reading some KDE config file?

It's not only about simply reading config options. It's also about sharing
credentials via kwallet, having a central store and management UI for
cookies, certificates, cache, and consistent handling of offline mode,
progress information and some other stuff.

I think the best solution would be, if JOLIE could use kio-slaves as transport
layer. This would naturally give great integration with other KDE
applications without having to implement all the configuration and shared
infrastructure again.