kde community plasma integration

Fabrizio Montesi famontesi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:26:27 CET 2009

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 19:55:37 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Fabrizio Montesi wrote:
> > iirc Cornelius raised the interesting problem of respecting KDE's
> > preferences for connections... we should spend a minute about how much of
> > that we want in Plasma<->JOLIE integration and how to do it: a dbus
> > service by KDE's side that JOLIE would access? JOLIE reading some KDE
> > config file?
>
> reading a config file would be brittle: changes on the kde side would need
> to be reflected on the jolie side, and then we'd get into version number
> games between the two.
>
> either a common library should be used or simply passing the parameters to
> jolie from the kde side would be the most sesnsible.
>
> and passing them to jolie is probably the easiest.

We could simply put some kind of operation on MetaService to update its
connection settings, which KDE could call anytime it wants. The problem just
becomes what kind of support JOLIE must offer.

JOLIE does not currently support HTTP proxies, though that shouldn't be hard
to implement. Connection timeouts should be easy, too. Anything else? These
things make for good junior jobs for wanna-be JOLIE contributors, I'll make a
list on the JOLIE website.