Review Request: Add the ability for applets to change autohide timeout value

Dominik Haumann dhdev at gmx.de
Sat Jan 10 13:05:28 CET 2009

On Saturday 10 January 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 09 January 2009, Matthew Dawson wrote:
> > Currently if you update the tooltip's content faster then three
> > seconds, the tooltip will never autohide.  This occurs because the
> > timer counting the three seconds resets when data is updated.  The
> > problem is that the tooltip doesn't go away, not that it never appears.
>
> as Alex notes, it would make most sense add this as a member of
> ToolTipContent.
>
> but i don't actually see the problem. if the data is updating and
> changing, why should the tip disappear? i mean .. how annoying would that
> be?
>
> user mouses over network read out
> network widget pops up a tooltip noting the current throughput rate
> user it watching it ... and it disappears!
> mouse out, mouse back in, repeat.
>
> so what is the use case for hiding a tooltip where the data is changing?

I think this is mainly about this:
- mouse over systemloadviewer -> tooltip shows
- tooltip updates eg every 2 seconds -> we call setContent again and again
- sometimes it happens that the tooltip does not go away even when the mouse
  left the plasmoid

So sometimes the autohide does not work. I was able to reproduce this like
this: I hvae two instances of the systemloadviewer side by side.
- hover over plasmoid1
- hover over plasmoid2
- now tooltip moves in an animation to plasmoid2. Now *during* this
animation change the desktop (maybe now the plasmoid does not get a mouse
leave event or such...). Now the tooltip will never go away, which is
probably a bug :)
I cannot reproduce it always like this, but playing around with it finally
reveales this behaviour. Maybe there are other ways to reproduce this.

Dominik