Welcome plasmoid pre-1-ruby

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:37:28 CET 2009

2009/1/4 0xDeadC0de <roguestar191 at comcast.net>

> Please bear with me, it's still messy code, it needs to be cleaned up a
> lot, especially when it comes to variable names... But most of it works,
> favorites are disabled for the plasma ui - and don't yet support
> konqueror integration anyway (soon I hope?)
>
> Yes yes the webview controls are ugly, and missing a zoom bar. :P
> About needs an icon..
>
> One of the reasons it's so bulky is that it not only supports the plasma
> ui file but it supports the Qt designer .ui file (ui/Dialog.ui) which
> has it's own set of bugs (Besides being over ugly, the dialog displaying
> compiz background image but not plasma's, and the little issue with it
> being "jumpy"..(If you try it.. you'll see what I mean) links don't work
> in the webview)
>
> The only bug I have is with the setCurrentIndex(int) on the tab widget
> (I think, I change things a lot, create and fix a ton of bugs all the
> time, and am prone to typos after to many hours)

It's nice to see a reasonably large Ruby plasmoid. You haven't mentioned any
problems you've had with the ruby bindings, but I'd be interested to hear of
anything. I noticed you have a lot of event handling code commented out - is
that because it didn't work?

You say this in you comment at the top of main.rb:

# The base is PlasmaScripting::Applet. On top of that is my applet - which
draws it's text to the applet
# What a pain in the ass

Did you try something simpler which didn't work? Would your problem be the
same in C++?

-- Richard