setPassivePopup(true) for Battery applet?

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 00:36:42 CET 2009

> From: Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
> On Wednesday 31 December 2008, Jamboarder wrote:
> > Would there be any objection to using
> setPassivePopup(true) for the battery
> > applet.
>
> yes, and for the same reason that making kicker a passive
> popup would be
> inane: they aren't items that you open and then do
> other work with them still
> open for reference.

Thanks.  I wasn't sure if there was a reason for the difference, so that's why I asked instead of just committing the change.

> the one pixel gap sounds like an inconsistency that needs
> to be tracked down
> and fixed. addressing a bug by throwing some random other
> option at it that
> just happens to do what we want isn't a good way of
> dealing with things ;)

Agreed that the one pixel bug needs to be fixed and the question was not intended to skirt around that need.  I just wasn't sure if the absence of a setPassivePopup(true) in the Battery applet was intentional or not, thus the reason for the question.  I understand now that it was intentional, thanks.

Regarding the visual bug when setPassivePopup(true) is not used, the difference seemed to be just one window flag: Qt::X11BypassWindowManagerHint

I confess my understanding is too limited to figure out why this causes the problem.

Thanks much,
Andrew (Jamboarder) Lake