setPassivePopup(true) for Battery applet?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jan 2 20:51:54 CET 2009

On Wednesday 31 December 2008, Jamboarder wrote:
> Would there be any objection to using setPassivePopup(true) for the battery
> applet.

yes, and for the same reason that making kicker a passive popup would be
inane: they aren't items that you open and then do other work with them still
open for reference.

for the calendar, a common use case is to pop it open and go back to an email
or a web page or an IM conversation and continue working while referencing the
information in the calendar.

when do you open the battery informatin and then continue to do work that
relies on that information being visible?

having to click on the clock to close the calendar is an annoyance outweighed
by the use case benefits. i see no similar use case for the battery, the
device notifier, kickoff, etc.

> It would allow the Battery applet Power Management extender to look
> like the Calendar extender of the Digital Clock applet (no one pixel gap
> between extender and panel), as well as have similar behaviour.

the one pixel gap sounds like an inconsistency that needs to be tracked down
and fixed. addressing a bug by throwing some random other option at it that
just happens to do what we want isn't a good way of dealing with things ;)

humru othro a kohnu se