Plasma themed tabbox

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Thu Feb 26 20:12:23 CET 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 20:13:42 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 February 2009 12:20:06 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > I worked on Plasma themeing the normal tabbox (without effects). So far
> > everything seems to work ;-)
> >
> > As this is my first work on anything related to QGraphicsView/Plasma I
> > cc-ed Plasma devs. Please have a look at the patch and tell me what I
> > have done wrong (probably thousands of things). Especially there is still
> > a white border around the tabbox and I don't know how to get rid of it.
>
> The Plasma theme provides two sorts of graphics, one for composited (with
> smooth edges and translucent shadow) and one for non-composited, which are
> a bit more pixelised. The dialog in your screenshot looks like it's using
> the plasma theme's graphics for compositing enabled while the window
> doesn't have translucency available (konsole apparently has) and thus
> paints those areas white -- that's the shadow on the white border then.
Don't know but I think there are no different svgs for opaque and translucent
widget background. I think the problem is that kwin does not have argb
visuals. I tried Marco's idea as well and with that the tabbox border is
black, just like Kickoff without compositing (with Air theme it looks really
good).  Btw I don't think it's a real problem that tabbox does not use ARGB as
it's quite likely that users will only use the classic tabbox when compositing
is disabled.

> > The old tabbox highlights the background of the active item. I decided to
> > just change the font of the item (underline and bold) and apply an icon
> > effect. I don't know if it is enough to indicate the currently selected
> > item.
> >
> > Minimized windows used to have a different color. Here I choose an italic
> > font instead. Icon effect still the same.
>
> The Plasma theme for the tasks widgets has these highlighted window button,
> that should work well visually with the taskbar (which essentially is
> another window switcher).
I changed to use the window buttons form tasks widget. It looks like that:
http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tabbox.png

Using the attention style for the selected and the normal for all other
windows and not changing the font settings.