tasks applet: group popup

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 24 22:50:07 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 21:43:45 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 February 2009, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > >
> > > you would need to replace the now-offscreen item with a spacer item of
> > > the same size (and keep them in sync) so that the layout would still
> > > "look" right.
> >
> > I'm not sure if you understood me correctly.
>
> no, we're on the same page.
>
> > parentlayout intact. For the popup a dialog would then be used. But i
> > don't think one would have to keep them in sync?
>
> only if we can guarantee that the size (title + icon) won't change
> mid-flight.
>
> > > this would create the visual illusion of them being connected without
> > > them actually being so.
> >
> > ok, but then the proper background and the drag&drop functionality would
> > be still missing if i got this right...
>
> if the anchor point is just a title, then it doesn't need to participate in
> drag and drop within the popup, and it would behave normally with the rest
> of the taskbar. i don't see how d'n'd as it is currently done in the
> taskbar would be affected in the least.

i think i'd be nice if you could for instance drag tasks directly out of the
popup like you can in in the expanded group for manual grouping, or sort them
in the popup. This is of course a "nice to have" and only sensible if it
doesn't add too much overhead.

> the background would be fine, as well, following the painting methods i
> described.

Ok, i think  i will try it as you suggest. it seems to be the simplest
solution.

Thanks for your help =)