theme idea

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 21:05:53 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all ..
>
> some users seem disturbed that plasma "looks different". while i think they
> are rather completely missing the point (which is "yes, the shell is meant
> to look different") it did get me thinking about things ...
>
> when a theme doesn't include a given widget svg, right now we fall back to
> the default theme. i wonder if it might be interesting to let themed Plasma
> widgets such as the pushbutton fall back instead to the application QStyle.
>
> this could be accomplished by simply not falling back to the default theme
> for these elements or (i think probably more safely?) by having an entry in
> the theme's .desktop file that says "use system widgets".
>
> then in widgets like PushButton the paint method could check for which way
> the theme wants to go and use the normal QGraphicsProxyWidget's paint
> method in that case.
>
> thoughts?
i think i prefer an entry in the desktop file, it sounds saner to me, since
most themes on kdelook are rather incomplete and would make them suddenly look
all terrible...
anyways it would be pretty easy, since a check like that is done already for
stylesheets (if a widget has a stylesheet set just make the qwidget paint), so
just another condition to that very first if :)