Wish to join GSoC Project for Plasma

Shantanu Jha jhahoneyk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 16:44:39 CET 2009

Hi,
I wish to join the Plasma project Simple Media Center components or Plasmate.
I'm using KDE since last year in November when I attended the Free and
Open Source Software India FOSS.IN 2008 meet. I was a part of few
people who helped to setup the KDE stalls and other things. There KDE
developers gifted us the book Qt Development Fundamentals by Johan
Thelin, so that we'd be able to contribute to KDE. I've read a part of
it - as of now, Widgets and Layouts, Main Window, Model-View framework
and Creating Widgets. After that, I've spent till mid-February to
build KDE from SVN trunk, so that I could apply the concepts. Building
took lots of time, as I'm a newbie, but atlast I have the latest KDE 4
SVN build.
I have not yet developed my own plasmoids, have only added a minor
feature in the System Monitor - Network plasmoid, which didn't display
the interface name before the fix. ( SVN commit 928770 by aseigo )

I do accept I'm kind of a newbie at programming in Qt, and hence KDE,
but am willing to learn, and have plenty of time, as due to some
physical disabilities, I'm cut off from sports. I'm currently doing a
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science And Engineering in Bangalore,
India, and currently in 2nd of the total 4 years of the course.
So, I wanted to know if I can participate in any of the projects? I
noticed "Knowledge prerequisite: Knowledge of C++ and some familiarity
with Qt, QGraphicsView related classes.". I accept that I currently
have little experience with programming plasmoids and these, but I
assure I'll work hard to learn whatever is required. I can also talk
on IRC, if its more comfortable to you guys :)

Thank You,
--
Shantanu Tushar Jha
http://www.shantanutushar.com