SoConcepts

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 19 21:26:10 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009, Chani wrote:
> > 	* savable containments: save / restore to file individual containments
> > or entire layouts; both locally for later restoration as well as external
> > export for sharing with others.
>
> is this really enough work for a soc project?

if the "nice way to share with others" is added to it and the requirements are
to provide usable UI interaction for all steps, i think so. it's certainly not
a HUGE project, though.

> btw, when I was thinking about it during tokamak, I realised that stashing
> them locally is easiest to do by simply leaving them in the appletsrc with
> a flag to disable them - no need to go mucking about with files. sharing
> with other people would be different, of course. :)

the flag idea is elegant, but then there are two different code paths: one for
the "i'm just going to stash this one away for my own use later" and one for
"i'd like to share these with others / i'm sharing this one from my friend".

for a dialog that shows all available but not-active containments, this would
make a difference to the amount of and cleanliness of the code.

it would also be a bit less surprising in the case one clears out their
plasma-desktop* configs to not have them remain in the config file.

> > 	* a new widget explorer that supports both our own widgets as well as
> > others more seamlessly
>
> you find those notes yet? ;)

ah, right. i nee to go hunting again don't i.

> *contextmenu plugins, although I'm planning to write a proposal for that ;)

:)

> *would a proper dbus interface be enough work? maybe combined with a runner
> that offers an easier interface for people who like typing

yes, that would be plenty of work and interesting to boot.

> *a more flexible icon plasmoid (would that be enough work, though?)

hm.. probably not. it could be paired up with a couple of other "smaller"
tasks maybe?

> *zui improvements (at the very least, I'm sick of having "add activity" in
> every activity, and savable containment stuff will need a home in the UI)

yes, one for zui would be cool.

humru othro a kohnu se