New systemtray: beginnings and how to do

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 23:22:59 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 16 February 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> > >
> > > how to do this is going to be the big trick in all of this. the d-bus
> > > interaction is actually pretty simple, but preserving backwards compat
> > > will be interesting to accomplish.
> >
> > yes, and fall back at the proper cases, that is the most worrying part,
> > yeah
>
> fortunately, that's probably the easy part: test for existence of the dbus
> service :)
>
> > > we have KSystemTrayIcon which IsA QSystemTrayIcon. so even if we
> > > implement the D-Bus protocol in KSystemTrayIcon, we'll always have a
> > > QSystemTrayIcon, and therefore a regular system tray icon, as well.
> >
> > ok, so we don't need a subclass of ksystemtrayicon, but something with
> > roughly the same api, i'm going a bit blindly there because i still never
> > looked at both KSystemTrayIcon and QSystemTrayIcon
>
> if you want to focus on the plasma side, i can take a spin at the client
> side API.
that would be killer :) at least beginnings of a working library, i was
attempting to sketch something starting from exactly the same api of
ksystemtrayicon (kinda fail for now), not too convinced but a quasi dropin
replacement would make hopes of being adopted a bit higher, i'm not sure its
api can bear all the info we need, at least a sensible subset on what we can
expand
and other things not sure it's sane to support them at all, setMovie? ouch..