New systemtray: beginnings and how to do

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 18 20:03:37 CET 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 16 February 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 February 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> > > this basic thing works fairly well by now, what is totally missing of
> > > course is the big part, the comunication infrastructure with the app
> > > (don't
> >
> > how to do this is going to be the big trick in all of this. the d-bus
> > interaction is actually pretty simple, but preserving backwards compat
> > will be interesting to accomplish.
>
> yes, and fall back at the proper cases, that is the most worrying part,
> yeah

fortunately, that's probably the easy part: test for existence of the dbus
service :)

> > we have KSystemTrayIcon which IsA QSystemTrayIcon. so even if we
> > implement the D-Bus protocol in KSystemTrayIcon, we'll always have a
> > QSystemTrayIcon, and therefore a regular system tray icon, as well.
>
> ok, so we don't need a subclass of ksystemtrayicon, but something with
> roughly the same api, i'm going a bit blindly there because i still never
> looked at both KSystemTrayIcon and QSystemTrayIcon

if you want to focus on the plasma side, i can take a spin at the client side
API.

> > KNotificationIcon? meh.
>
> hmm, as a name wouldn't confuse  a bit with dbus notification and galago
> things?

probably.  ergo the "meh". i'm still trying to think of a non-bad name.

> TrayBus (the fancy rather meaningless one)
> NotificationIcon (the really (too much?) generic one)

hm.. it should say what it's doing, but be unique. not going to be easy. :)
time, i think, for a think in the shower.

humru othro a kohnu se