taskmanager project

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 12:24:42 CET 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009, Casper Clemence wrote:
> Hi all. I am starting out hacking on KDE and I wanted to check that I'm not
> stepping on any toes.
>
> I've never used Qt or kdelibs before and I have a full time "day job" so I
> might take a while. Anyway I hope I can be useful and not just a pain. I
> will do some bugfixing I promise, but I think I'll learn better by trying
> to implement some design.
>
> What I'm working on is the "workspace/plasma/applets/tasks" task-manager.
> In particular the grouping behaviour.
>
> AIM:
> (1) on mouseover (of a group item) a taskbar-like widget pops out showing
> the members of the group it's behaviour and appearence is the same as the
> main taskbar.
> (2) left-click peforms bring to front/minimise/restore action on whole
> group (3) right-click context menu remain the same

not sure i agree on opening the menu on just mouse over, would bring a ton of
accidental opens and maybe a bit annoying
that said, making the group menus look like a real taskbar it's a thing that
definitely was on the todo list, i recall christian started to work on that
but i have no idea if there were any progress... (anyways, it basically means
open a Plasma::dialog with a view in it that displays the group in a vertical
layout)

another thing i see is that there are really many ideas around the taskbar,
about behaviours slighly different one to another (someone also started to
work on a win7 like dock), instead putting a garzillion of configuration
options i think it should be done a libplasmataskbar like there is
libplasmackock now for the garzillion of clocks

Cheers,
Marco Martin