Version Number from .desktop

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Feb 1 08:51:54 CET 2009

On Sunday 01 February 2009 03:36:30 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 31 January 2009, David Baron wrote:
> > OK, there is a whole pane in the config dialog just for a keyboard
> > shortcut that few, as of yet, even use.
>
> all popupapplets along with show desktop and show dashboard do.

They need it. I also incorporated it for similar reasons. I think that applets
should cover minimal space until activate()'ed. Maybe I'll change my mind when
I have a dual-head system and two 30 inch LCDs.

> > An about box could take another pane or
> > share this one :-)
>
> this might make sense, yes.
>
> > There is nothing wrong with having the version available any more than
> > having the name and appletName available.
>
> it adds to the API which comes with a cost.
Minimal.

> > They can go in an about box, the
> > title bar of a dialog box, etc.
>
> we provide an about box, and there is little to no value to it being in a
> dialog title.
>
> > And if differing about box versions
> > materialize, well, there are different config dialogs around also.
>
> .. which configure different things. we have been standardizing some of the
> bits of configure diaogs, however, to ensure consistency where possible.
>
> > Even in windows, there is no absolute conformity.
>
> how is that a justification?
The whole thing of linux (and opensource) is freedom. I am not stuck with one
person's good and not-so-good UI philosophy and design taste. I can run gnome
or KDE or something lighter or all of them. As long as minimum usability and
consistency is maintained, I can choose my poison. I might be in favor a a
published UI guideline for plasma applets interfaces (after there is proper
published documentation :-)), but I would bet there  be many who would object

We all install stuff we like.