KWin highlight window effect enabled by default?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 16:08:38 CET 2009

On Monday 21 December 2009, Lucas Murray wrote:
> Recently the KWin highlight window desktop effect was made to be enabled
> by default in the KDE Plasma Desktop workspace. As I was not a part of
> the discussion to decide this I do not know the exact reason why it was
> enabled by default but I would like to voice my opinion that it was the
> wrong choice.
>
> The highlight window effect is the one that, when you hover over a
> taskbar item, fades out all windows except the one being hovered over.
> As this animation affects the entire screen and as it can occur often
> during normal desktop usage it has a large influence over the entire KDE
> Plasma Desktop visual identity.

now the window effect has its own configuration to be turned on/off in the
taskbar.
the only gripe i have by turning it off by default from there is that since we
can't put new configuration ui it will be simply impossible to find.
in the kwin ui of course isn't obvious but is still an ui mean to enable it.
i would say we can do the following:
1) keep enabled by default in the taskbar config
2) keep the ui in kwin to enable/disable it and disable by default from there

in 4.5 it will go away from the kwin ui and it will get a chekbox in the
taskbar config, disabled by default

Cheers,
Marco Martin