KWin highlight window effect enabled by default?

Lucas Murray lmurray at undefinedfire.com
Wed Dec 23 03:50:46 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:07:00PM +0100, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> The highlight windows effect is not only used for the taskbar highlights, but I
> also turned it on in the "classic" non-composited tabbox to provide the same
> highlight of the current selected window as the boxswitch effect does. In fact
> I was thinking about switching off boxswitch by default in favor for the
> classic tabbox with the highlight effect as that one scales better for a larger
> number of windows (thumbnails are too small in boxswitch effect). So here we
> have the problem that turning on the effect is not side-effect free. If you want
> to use it for alt+tab you have to use it for taskbar as well as it is not
> configurable (and it's too late for 4.4).

This changes things somewhat as I didn't even know that feature existed.

Since the window switcher cannot use the effect without it being enabled
for the taskbar as well it's time to mention that Plasma should really
have its own settings for enabling both highlight windows and taskbar
thumbnails.

Both effects are intended to be passive--as in they are always enabled
and are used whenever an application requests it. As they can be used by
multiple applications at the same time only having a single global
setting doesn't really work that well.

The only hurdle for this right now is string freeze so if a string
exception cannot be gained (Since we're already past beta 2 I doubt one
can be given) I guess the Plasma highlight effect setting will need to
be a hidden option in KDE SC 4.4.

--

Lucas Murray
GPG Fingerprint: 0B88 499E 3F5B 1405 D952  258A AD90 B4F5 90B6 3534