What about Kfloppy and SuperKaramba

Michael Leupold lemma at confuego.org
Sat Dec 12 08:21:56 CET 2009

Am Freitag, 11. Dezember 2009 21:03:47 schrieb Rolf Eike Beer:
> I just read that KPilot was dropped from kdepim. That reminded me of some
> corpses in kdeutils ...
>
> I must confess I never used any of the two. I you don't count my krazy
>  fixes from two weeks ago both applications have not seen any developer
>  activity for month, just some general cleanups that were applied on many
>  projects in the whole repository at once. Is it time to move them to
>  tags/unmaintained?
>
> I doubt anyone has a strong need for Kfloppy these days as USB sticks are
> cheaper, more robust and e.g. no computer I bought in the last 2 years even
> had a floppy drive. Those we ordered at work 3 years ago were probably
>  never used.

I'm not sure the availability of USB sticks is the same all over the world.
There might be places where floppies are still needed/used. Can't really
comment on that - I don't even know if Kfloppy does what it's intended to do
as I don't have a floppy disc drive myself :-)

> For SuperKaramba I'm less sure but given the speed of plasma development I
> think there can't be much that this project is still needed for.

Plasma seems to include a way to use SuperKaramba widgets. Unfortunately I'm
not sure to what extent this requires SuperKaramba. Maybe a plasma developer
could comment on that (CCing for that purpose).

> Currently they are just bitrotting and spitting warnings about using
>  K3Process and the like. When Friedrich took over kdeutils he tried to find
>  new maintainers but I can't see that anyone ever stepped up. Maybe it's
>  time to let them rest in peace somewhere else. Any comments on this?

I agree that we should take a closer look if those utils are still needed and
in good shape to ship them.

btw, it seems kdessh is meant to run an application on a remote host,
providing means to gather and store the password using a kde gui. however it
seems it doesn't really work (I couldn't observe anything running kdesshing
into my machine).

Regards,
Michael