animation api changes

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 4 07:05:28 CET 2009

On December 3, 2009, Akmanalp, Mehmet A wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > * Plasma::Animation IsA QAbstractAnimation with the bare essential pure
> > virtuals implemented and which takes a QGraphicsWidget that should be
> > animated
>
> Good call, I forget the reasoning of why we didn't do it this way
> initially but I guess it's moot now.

see below...

> > * Plasma::AnimationGroup IsA QAbstractAnimation that wraps a
> > QAbstractAnimationGroup (this is the part i'm least sure about atm...)
> > and makes switching from parallel to sequential easy (personally, i think
> > Kinetic should have made parallel vs sequential a property, not
> > introduced two different classes; it's a hassle).
>
> Completely agree with this, this was one of the major PITAs, and made
> the AnimationGroup
> more complicated than it should have been.

yep

> > however, if we feel that the parallel- >sequential switching is not worth
> > it, we can simply kill this class and make
> > people deal with the slightly unwieldy QAnimationGroup directly. i'm kind
> > of leaning in that direction, tbh, even though i dislike parts of
> > QAnimationGroup's design.
>
> Now that Animation isA QAbstractAnimation, this makes total sense.
> TBH, I don't think we ever came up with a good use case for this. I'll
> dig into past emails / my notes and check.

it's because they were creating animations, but weren't QAbstractAnimations.
in other words, they were factories, so we needed a group factory as well. now
that they aren't factories anymore (Plasma::Animator is the factory) these
classes can be simplified somewhat.

ah, development and refactoring ;)

humru othro a kohnu se