Update The Feature Plan! NOW!

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 23:21:37 CET 2009

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 16:33:10 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Dear Plasma Developers,
>
> Please edit the feature plan:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.4_Feature_Plan
>
> I'm looking over it, and it all does not make sense. There are many items
>  which should be green, but are yellow. That means that you, my fellow
>  developers did not update it. I'm not going to run through them all,
>  everything yellow might simply not be in the list of new and improved
>  things in for KDE SC 4.4 as I cannot confirm for every single item in
>  there if it's in and if it's supposed to work.
>
> So, please edit the feature plan. If you've done so, reply to this email
>  (keep kde- promo in CC:) with your change, so I can update the list we're
>  using as source for the 4.4 release notes.

I think I wasn't clear:

There is a large number of yellow items in our feature plan. If you put something in
there, you have to make sure it doesn't just stay in there forever. That means
either removing it (if you don't plan to work on it at all) or marking it green
(when it's ready, doesn't have to be bug-free at that point). Yellow items will be
moved over to the next feature plan (the one for 4.5), so we'll just end up
wondering what happened in a couple of months.

Please take those 5 minutes it'll cost at max, and update the status of your items
in there.

By now, please also reply to this email with your change, so it still makes it in. I
can't monitor the page for every single edit and keep the higher level docs about it
up to date.

We probably spent hundreds of hours on the codebase, yet do not even find those 5
minutes to write down what we did so it can be communicated properly.

I might just expect too much discipline, our system might suck, or the stars aren't
aligned perfectly, but all that doesn't help me when I want to flesh out the feature
set we're building the release notes upon.

Thanks,
--
sebas, carrying a pink whip, ready to use it