Update The Feature Plan! NOW!

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Tue Dec 1 19:59:24 CET 2009

Am Dienstag 01 Dezember 2009 18:33:42 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 18:13:49 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > is there any possibility of improving the situation rather than flogging
> > a dead horse?
>
> Probably. It doesn't help me get a complete list of features *right now*.
>
> I'm all for an improved system that makes it easier to keep track of
>  features. We have the same problem with the changelog, btw. Changes aren't
>  recorded, or are recorded late.

I added the changelog for kwin for 4.3.1 and .2 and I must say it was hard
work. It takes about half an hour to one hour for something small like kwin.
Scripty and commits like "backporting rev 1234" makes it really difficult. For
.4 I just was not aware that there is the release (I think there was no
warning mail) and so I did not fill it in :-(

I really think providing a backlog is very important and that's why I don't
mind spending one hour a month on filling in the dates. But life could be
easier :-) As Aaron said there could be a post commit hook which fills in the
changelog. We directly have the svn rev and the bug number. What it needs is a
human readable message, instead of "backport rev" ;-)

What if we add a new Keyword CHANGELOG which is used to fill in the text?
Perhaps even make it mandatory if we commit to the branch? And this could be
used for feature plan as well. When using FEATURE on trunk and CHANGELOG it is
automatically filled in to the XML file.