[kde-promo] Update The Feature Plan! NOW!

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 19:32:22 CET 2009

On December 1, 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 18:13:49 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > is there any possibility of improving the situation rather than flogging
> > a dead horse?
>
> Probably. It doesn't help me get a complete list of features *right now*.

i've pointed you to where our feature listing is now. i'll go over it and try
to make sure it contains everything of interest.

> I'm all for an improved system that makes it easier to keep track of
>  features. We have the same problem with the changelog, btw. Changes aren't
>  recorded, or are recorded late.

yes, it has the problem of requiring manual maintenance. that manual
maintenance is easier than the wiki.

a (semi-)automated system would be awesome, such as post-commit hook that
would append any commit log to the feature log. of course, this doesn't help
with rel-eng which wants features to be pre-advertised.

honestly, i think the soft-feature-freeze / hard-feature-freeze thing is a bit
silly and we ought to just have a feature freeze, period. that's how it tends
to work in practice most of the time anyways.

then we could have a nice little FEATURE:plasma tag for commits that would
create the changelog as we work.

humru othro a kohnu se