Update The Feature Plan! NOW!

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 18:13:49 CET 2009

On December 1, 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Dear Plasma Developers,
>
> Please edit the feature plan:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.4_Feature_Plan
>
> I'm looking over it, and it all does not make sense. There are many items
>  which should be green, but are yellow. That means that you, my fellow
>  developers did not update it. I'm not going to run through them all,
>  everything yellow might simply not be in the list of new and improved
>  things in for KDE SC 4.4 as I cannot confirm for every single item in
>  there if it's in and if it's supposed to work.

this happens every release. why? simple: time and effort.

the wiki and its tables is a complete PITA to edit (from "the format is
difficult to edit" to "when someone else editing somewhere else on the page, i
get to do it over again") and the only time i ever go there is to edit it for
the beta/rc cycle. there is no other reason for me to go there.

imho, this is one area where both our rel eng and our promo is currently
underperforming. trying to force people to use the system as it is won't fix
that, it will only increase the amount of time we spend with the
inefficiencies inherent to that wiki page.

in this case, i suppose promo wants to know what we've been up to? in that
case:

http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/design/CHANGELOG-4.4

the nice thing about the wiki page is that it's all in one place, so promo
doesn't have to chase down N different files in N different places were N is
the number of subprojects we have.

unless other developers are completely happy with the wiki, why don't we fix
this whole situation and come up with a better centralized location for these
things? a rel eng module in svn with schedules, plans and "effort highlights"
changelogs might work nicely; iirc our feature planning used to be in an xml
file in svn that was processed into html to be displayed on the website. that
worked pretty well, though even that could be improved on.

is there any possibility of improving the situation rather than flogging a
dead horse?

humru othro a kohnu se