Working method for focusing widgets in panels and keyboard navigation for Tasks applet

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 24 14:45:22 CEST 2009

On Monday 24 August 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 24 August 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 August 2009, Emdek wrote:
> > > And KWin method will work on other platforms?
> >
> > yes, other window managers allow dock windows to get focus.
> >
> > > By the way, in fact we use KWin in this method, but not directly. ;-)
> >
> > what would be good is to have both a keyboard shortcut for the user to
> > access (which would go into kwin) and a way for widgets to request this
> > same focus on click; the tasks widget (and in fact _most_ widgets) do not
> > want such behaviour, but some do.
> >
> > so this is really two problems in one:
> >
> > * keyboard shortcut to get focus to a dock window (aka panel)
> >
> > * way for a widget to advertise that it should receive keyboard focus
> > when clicked and have PanelView grab focus in that case
>
> neglecting for a while how actually give focus to the panel, api-wise on
> plasma side could work as this:
> Applet::addFocusWidget(QGraphicsWidget *)
> it's usedto add widgets that are supposed to request focus when clicked,
> thinking about it maybe we want addFocusWidgets(QList<QGraphicsWidget *>)

i don't think we need to provide an addFocusWidgets that takes a list; the
user of it can call add multiple times. if there was a method that added a
list, i'd think it should be called "setFocusWidgets"? removal would be
achieved by deletion of the widget, i suppose? or would it make sense to have
a removeFocusWidget as well for symmetry?

humru othro a kohnu se