Working method for focusing widgets in panels and keyboard navigation for Tasks applet

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 13:21:06 CEST 2009

On 24-08-2009 at 11:06:06 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
>> By the way, in fact we use KWin in this method, but not directly. ;-)
>
> what would be good is to have both a keyboard shortcut for the user to
> access
> (which would go into kwin) and a way for widgets to request this same
> focus on
> click; the tasks widget (and in fact _most_ widgets) do not want such
> behaviour, but some do.
>
> so this is really two problems in one:
>
> * keyboard shortcut to get focus to a dock window (aka panel)
>
> * way for a widget to advertise that it should receive keyboard focus
> when
> clicked and have PanelView grab focus in that case

Yes, I've said something like this in one of messages.
But shortcut for specified containment (I would like to focus desktop too
and switch between applets there) is bad idea, it is better to use only
that Ctrl+Tab.
Advertising of focus need could be done as part that new enum maybe.

>> But keyboard shortcut to focus whole Plasma (give it possibility to
>> switch
>> between applets and containments using standard tab and other) would be
>> best probably (but still needs my code, or similar solution).
>
> just like alt-tab for windows, ctrl+tab (or whatever) would work for
> multiple
> panels.

Sure, that is what I'm thinking about (there is Ctrl+Tab support probably
already, as debug says when I'm working on keyboard navigation for my task
manager). :-)

And again, there will be need for artwork for focused panel and applet
backgrounds (how we can use focus if we don't know where it is...). :-)