Working method for focusing widgets in panels and keyboard navigation for Tasks applet

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 24 11:06:06 CEST 2009

On Saturday 22 August 2009, Emdek wrote:
> And KWin method will work on other platforms?

yes, other window managers allow dock windows to get focus.

> By the way, in fact we use KWin in this method, but not directly. ;-)

what would be good is to have both a keyboard shortcut for the user to access
(which would go into kwin) and a way for widgets to request this same focus on
click; the tasks widget (and in fact _most_ widgets) do not want such
behaviour, but some do.

so this is really two problems in one:

* keyboard shortcut to get focus to a dock window (aka panel)

* way for a widget to advertise that it should receive keyboard focus when
clicked and have PanelView grab focus in that case

> But keyboard shortcut to focus whole Plasma (give it possibility to switch
> between applets and containments using standard tab and other) would be
> best probably (but still needs my code, or similar solution).

just like alt-tab for windows, ctrl+tab (or whatever) would work for multiple
panels.

humru othro a kohnu se