Python, a taskbar applet and a noobie :)

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:37:56 CEST 2009

On August 18, 2009 02:25:06 Darknight wrote:
> I'm starting right now to look into plasma, my language of choice would be
> python, which I'm learning. I can mostly understand C++ but I never felt
>  bold enough to actually learn and code with it.
>
> Now on to the problem. I have a concept for a different taskbar plasmoid so
>  I opened the tasks source code... it seems it uses libtaskmanager which
>  AFAIK has no python bindings.
> The tasks data engine looks incomplete on the surface but it may just be my
> ignorance. For example it does not supply the PID of the process behind
>  that task, which would be very useful.

yes, I just committed some improvements to that engine yesterday. feel free to
add to it. :)

> Is it possible to duplicate the current taskbar functionality in python? If
> not, how far is it possible to go in this direction?

I'd be interested in seeing it done with the engine... I don't know how much
is possible because I haven't looked at the taskbar plasmoid in a looong time.

> Maybe it's a bit of an advanced topic but that's what I've got an interest
>  in. If I spend time on plasma I'd rather do so on a project that can keep
>  me focused. :P

naturally :)
making new taskbars seems to be quite the popular activity...

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com