Python, a taskbar applet and a noobie :)

Darknight darknight7 at tiscali.it
Tue Aug 18 11:25:06 CEST 2009

I'm starting right now to look into plasma, my language of choice would be
python, which I'm learning. I can mostly understand C++ but I never felt bold
enough to actually learn and code with it.

Now on to the problem. I have a concept for a different taskbar plasmoid so I
opened the tasks source code... it seems it uses libtaskmanager which AFAIK
has no python bindings.
The tasks data engine looks incomplete on the surface but it may just be my
ignorance. For example it does not supply the PID of the process behind that
task, which would be very useful.
Is it possible to duplicate the current taskbar functionality in python? If
not, how far is it possible to go in this direction?

Maybe it's a bit of an advanced topic but that's what I've got an interest in.
If I spend time on plasma I'd rather do so on a project that can keep me
focused. :P

Thanks in advance.