[nepomuk-kde] Plasma activities and Nepomuk

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Sat Aug 8 20:32:06 CEST 2009

It was Hari krishna Anandhan who said at the right time 08.08.2009 19:05
the following words:
> Hi Leo,
>
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Leo Sauermann<leo.sauermann at dfki.de> wrote:
>
>> a completly working implementation with applications on top (such as
>> clicked-link history, etc, ...) was done open source complete with
>> ontologies and algorithms:
>>
>> http://usercontext.opendfki.de/
>> http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/UserWorkContext
>>
>> I think this thread is currently reinventing this.
>>

> Leo, the contexts discussed there are more in line with 'Gnome
> Zeitgeist', where the actual user operations (called NOPs in nepomuk)
> done in individual applications are observed and the user context is
> guessed. But, as per what we have agreed earlier, for the first phase
> of implementation, we are looking at a more higher-level 'User
> Activity' which is explicitly invoked by the user, which just
> remembers the apps or applets the user might use to do his specific
> activity. I am sure we will cover NOPs at a later phase and use
> UserContext onto for it, but for a start, let us just stick to
> ActivityContext at a higher level. I think the plasma team is also
> thinking in those lines ;)

I think you guys still did not check out the links I have posted,
because if you did, you would be talking about "UserWorkContextThreads"
which are the high-level "user activity" you are talking about.

anyway, I don't recommend to copy our work 1:1 but recommend you to
improve it,
still knowing what others did can help make it simple
so, looking forward to you posting your ontology.

If you are interested, you can develop the ontologies using the
environment and toolset
developed at

oscaf.sourceforge.net,

this is the place where KDE and gnome hackers come together when working
on other ontologies.
The processes there ensure that decisions are documented, and changes
can be done using a ticketing system, and that ontologies are properly
released.

best
Leo

> Cheers,
> Hari

Dr. Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +43 6991 gnowsis
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313