[nepomuk-kde] Plasma activities and Nepomuk

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 07:43:06 CEST 2009

> Ivan, I would like to clear up something here: I understand that when
> you are saying context, you mean the Activities the user is doing.
If I ever said context, I apologize, naturally I was always referring to
activities. I may have started to use the context term due to the playground
example which had *Context*() methods.

> But, in true semantic sense, there can be a lot of other contexts
> also. So, to keep things clear for both the sides, I would request to
> use the word 'ActivityContext' whenever 'Activities' are intended ;)
My intention was to name the methods only setActivity(), activity() and so on
(or currentActivityName...)

> And, as per our discussions in nepomuk, we haven't yet finalised how
> ActivityContext is to be represented. Previously we were thinking of
As you can see, there are a few projects interested in having the name of the
current activity (and signals when it is changed), so this is a must to have
as soon as possible (that is, now - even if the rest of the ontology is not
complete). So, the first d-bus service could contain only that info until you
(the nepomuk guys and gals) figure out what else it should contain.

> As Sebastian Kügler says, ActivityContext could be minimally
> represented as a user-given name, a QString.
> But, I think we might also need a activity type (personal work,
> official work, code development, leisure, academic work, community
> work, anonymous, etc). If there is no type, how will you differentiate
> between the different activities to show diff things as in the
> usecases you have given...
The way that plasma's activities work, we still don't need the type. Though,
I'm not saying it wouldn't be needed by some other application, or that it
couldn't be used in plasma.

The differentiation is created simply by allowing the user to customize the
each activity as he/she deems it fit.

> These usecases perfectly align with what we have in mind...
> Now, all we have to do is to brainstorm on the types of activities
> that might be applicable ;)
Cool :)

Cheerio!