4.3 Previewer or Icon?

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Fri Aug 7 10:35:22 CEST 2009

> > > Remember, the Plasma desktop is not just a file-dump ...
> >
> > Misunderstood.
> >
> > I have a pdf document that I want to "place" on the desktop to read it a
> > few times. So I drag the icon from dolphin to the desktop.
> >
> > Now, in 4.3, when I drag this icon from dolphin to the desktop, I get the
> > choice of placing the icon or the previewer plasmoid.
> >
> > If I want the plasmoid, I will have done this once. In any event, I
> > simply want the icon as before.
>
> I don't think I understand what you're trying to say.
>
> do you want it to take the option you choose the first time you drag a file
> and always do that in the future without asking? but then, what if you
> change your mind later?
> how is the computer supposed to know that you don't want the previewer?
>
> do you want to be able to configure it to not offer that widget? that kinda
> seems like a good idea, but someone would have to write the config code and
> UI... hopefully in a less scary way than the file-associations KCM ;P
>
> if it's just the previewer specifically that you dislike, and you don't
> mind being given choices like frame or icon for images, then why not just
> uninstall the previewer plasmoid?

I would normally install the previewer from the add widget menu. Then use it.

If I simply drag and icon from dolphin or elsewhere, there may be mutliple
options available, i.e. if the icon is a folder: icon or folder view plasmoid
of THAT FOLDER. Fine. If the icon is of a file, then I just want the icon
which I can click to view. If I want to use the previewer, I drag the icon to
the plasmoid. The choice in place the previewer plasmoid is not for this file
in particular. That is why I feel it is in the way here.