pardus plasma problems (PPP :P)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Apr 22 15:21:09 CEST 2009

Hi Plasmoids,

I'm at the office of Pardus Linux right now, and we're going through some
issues for the next Pardus release this summer, which is based on KDE 4.2.
Some of the issues have already been addressed, others are new. Some advice on
where to look and how to address them:

Note, this is not a "plz fix this kthx", but a "how to address this in the
best way". Here goes:

- In 4.2, there's no way to set the wallpaper from outside Plasma. That's of
course more involved, since the wallpaper plugin also needs to be switched to
the image plugin. For 4.4, there's a dbus interface planned for this, but how
can one add this functionality before that?

- The Plasma panel, in some cases doesn't switch the theme's artwork to the
translucent version. I recall there was a fix for that recently, the
compositingEnabled signal wasn't always emitted, iirc. Probably something we
(or the Pardus guys) want to backport. I'm not sure which patch that was,
maybe r916823. Does anyone know this?

- When symlinking /usr/ (for example to /oldusr/), the wallpapers in the
preview drop dropdown show up twice. Any idea what's going on here?

Pardus developers are on this list, and will join into this discussion...

Thanks for the advice!
--
sebas