Strawman Proposal: Wireless Access Point Geolocation, and Location-Linked Behaviours

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 14 18:31:59 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Andrew Coles wrote:
> PlaceLab exists, WiGLE has data, and it's trivial to add extra or even have
> an offline cache.  The pie-in-the-sky is the glue to hook that in as a Data
> Engine, and then being able to set behaviours triggered by location.

i assume WiGLE is this: http://wigle.net/ ... very cool.

so, here's how this should probably work, at least imho:

* create a wigle.net data engine, as you note
	* it should be queryable by the ap and return geo info as well as look up in
nepomuk to see if there is a corresponding Context associated with it

* add support for it to the network connections plasmoid
	* for the current established connection it should show the corresponding
Context or if none a button to "Mark Connection" or something like that (there
has to be a better term :)
	* when a connection with a nepomuk context associated with it is made, offer
to (or automatically?) switch to that Context in nepomuk

* finish laying the pipeworks in Plasma::Context to respond to change in
Nepomuk for the "active context"

with that in place, we can then start playing with what that triggers (e.g.
changing your Activity automatically, etc)

great project idea! :)

humru othro a kohnu se