Desktop settings dialog ideas

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 7 18:33:53 CEST 2009

On Saturday 04 April 2009, Emdek wrote:
> First idea, easier to do, is to add back to dialog pages with settings of
> screensaver and power saving (maybe there were also other, I don't
> remember) like in KDE3. This location was logical and they were easier to
> reach in few clicks. This idea is described in wish #185153.

what's wrong with system settings, and what does power management / screen
saver have to do with the primary user interface? why not put session
management and login opitions and mimetype associations and .. there too?

> The second could be harder to do.
> It would be nice if we could get rid of the second dialog and merge these
> settings as pages in main dialog. But there could be problem with
> dynamically changing list of available pages when changing containment type
> and hitting Apply button.

that wouldn't be hard to do at all. however, i'd like to first see the current
Appearance Settings dialog be broken into two clear things: the application
global settings (e.g. the deskto theme selector) and the containment specific
ones. there's a page on techbase about the global settings. these should go
into system settings.

> Another idea for this could be showing this second dialog after hitting
> kind of "Options" button next to containment type combobox. But this could
> be harder to find and look uglier but better than two configuration entries
> in desktop context menu.

multiple pages would make more sense as its what we already do for plasmoid
configuration.

> Additionally I've one small question, why there is no entry in any context
> menu of Plasma to show information about Plasma or KDE?

why are these such important pieces of information that we'd clutter up the UI
with them? we don't have the luxury of a menubar, so we'd have to find some
other place to put them.

humru othro a kohnu se