Systray jobs and notifications

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Mon Apr 6 17:30:00 CEST 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009 19:02:58 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 06 April 2009, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> > * job widget layout. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think this
> > could be improved. The widget takes up quite some space vertically. I'm
> > not sure how we can keep the widget compact while still showing all the
> > information (we'll need to add the ETA too). Any ideas?
>
> tooltips, "More info >>" link or just not care? :)

hmm, more info link sounds good. And ETA not as part of that link but always
visible since that's usually the most interesting part I'd say.

> > * job completed action. As discussed at Tokamak, we'll need to add an
> > extra action to the JobView (and a slot to KJob) interface to allow,
> > besides suspend, kill, and resume, an action that can be invoked after
> > the job is finished. Kio could use this to provide an 'open' action to
> > open the copied/moved file, or it's containing directory in case of
> > multiple files. It should probably also provide a way to set a message
> > for both this action, and the description of what has just finished.
>
> makes sense ...
>
> > * when a job is completed, replace the job widget with a
> > notificationwidget, showing the 'completed message' (hmm, we could just
> > use infoMessage for this, and let kio set a more sensible messages when a
> > job completes (like "finished copying 5 files from <url>"), and showing
> > the finished job action. We could add those notifications to an
> > ExtenderGroup that contains the text "x completed jobs" and a "clear"
> > button that empties this group. Wait, I'll draft up a extremely
> > beautifull mockup and attach it.
> > Problem: it would be very nice if this would also work across reboots,
> > which isn't the case if the kjob handles this finished action. Most of
> > the time, this action will just open an application with a certain set of
> > arguments, so maybe we should just provide the name of an application +
> > command line arguments in a string. Then the systray would just contain a
> > firefox like completed jobs history, with open buttons that still work
> > after a reboot.
>
> yes.. that'd probably work and also probably be easier to allow for custom
> actions.

Good... It still needs to be implemented of course. What about adding
setFinishedCommand(QString) and setFinishedCommandDescription(QString) to the
JobView interface and finishedCommand and finishedCommandDescription signals
to KJob?
KioJob still needs to fire those signals with sensible values of course.

> > * An animated icon of some sort when jobs are running, instead of the "i"
> > icon. Discussed at tokamak, and makes it clearer when there are actually
> > jobs running. We should probably also show a tooltip when hovering this
> > icon. This icon still needs to be designed.
>
> what about the busy widget we have? we could just use that, with a number
> in the middle of it showing how many jobs are currently being processed?

That's a very good idea... but what if there are both notifications and jobs
present?

Regards,
Rob