Systray jobs and notifications

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 6 19:02:58 CEST 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> * job widget layout. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think this
> could be improved. The widget takes up quite some space vertically. I'm not
> sure how we can keep the widget compact while still showing all the
> information (we'll need to add the ETA too). Any ideas?

tooltips, "More info >>" link or just not care? :)

> * job completed action. As discussed at Tokamak, we'll need to add an extra
> action to the JobView (and a slot to KJob) interface to allow, besides
> suspend, kill, and resume, an action that can be invoked after the job is
> finished. Kio could use this to provide an 'open' action to open the
> copied/moved file, or it's containing directory in case of multiple files.
> It should probably also provide a way to set a message for both this
> action, and the description of what has just finished.

makes sense ...

> * when a job is completed, replace the job widget with a
> notificationwidget, showing the 'completed message' (hmm, we could just use
> infoMessage for this, and let kio set a more sensible messages when a job
> completes (like "finished copying 5 files from <url>"), and showing the
> finished job action. We could add those notifications to an ExtenderGroup
> that contains the text "x completed jobs" and a "clear" button that empties
> this group. Wait, I'll draft up a extremely beautifull mockup and attach
> it.
> Problem: it would be very nice if this would also work across reboots,
> which isn't the case if the kjob handles this finished action. Most of the
> time, this action will just open an application with a certain set of
> arguments, so maybe we should just provide the name of an application +
> command line arguments in a string. Then the systray would just contain a
> firefox like completed jobs history, with open buttons that still work
> after a reboot.

yes.. that'd probably work and also probably be easier to allow for custom
actions.

> * An animated icon of some sort when jobs are running, instead of the "i"
> icon. Discussed at tokamak, and makes it clearer when there are actually
> jobs running. We should probably also show a tooltip when hovering this
> icon. This icon still needs to be designed.

what about the busy widget we have? we could just use that, with a number in
the middle of it showing how many jobs are currently being processed?

humru othro a kohnu se