Tool tips ideas

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 23:53:23 CEST 2009

On Sunday 05-04-2009 22:37:58 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>> > so hiding tips needs to take hover of tip itself into account (easy to
>> > do :)
>> > and we need some clicked(ToolTipContent) signals
>>
>> Yes, this would be useful, especially if there would be QPoint with
>> location of click event on screen.
>
> do we need a point, or just what was actually activiated? (e.g. which
> link or
> which action)

Maybe there could be passed with event object as parameter (so we could get information about position, used mouse buttons etc.)?
Also there could be passed enumerator member (for example Preview, Icon, Text) to tell which widget was activated.

>> > this just needs to be pushed into the netwm spec and standardized for
>> > usage by
>> > others
>>
>> This would be great.
>> Currently also Compiz tries to add them, so with upstream solution this
>> could be much cleaner.
>
> ok, so we need to talk to these various projects. maybe i could blog
> about it.

Good idea. :-)

>> > nothing you've said above requires the ability to put random widgets
>> > into the
>> > tooltips though, so i think we're good. we just need to work some
>> > patches out
>> > for the current tip.
>> >
>> > interested in trying to get some patches put together? :)
>>
>> Yes, of course I'm interested (especially because I want to use it ;-))
>> but
>> there is again problem with lack of compiled trunk on my machine...
>
> you should be able to just get kdelibs and just build kdelibs/plasma?

I could at least try to prepare needed environment during next days (I could try to prepare full set when I'll format my hard drive at end of April, this will be it's first full format after four years of use ;-)).